Thursday, April 7, 2011

The ELPE!

Today a certain buzz has been going around campus. It's that time of the year again... time for undergraduate students to write the English Language Proficiency Exam (The ELPE)!

What is the ELPE? It's a 300 - 500 words essay that every Waterloo undergraduate student must complete, and pass, in order to graduate. Yes, it's like a literacy test but before you think about it too much, DO NOT PANIC :)

When I was told about this exam, I thought, "I'm an Arts Student! I don't need to worry about writing a short essay". But, after hearing rumours of someone who knew someone who did great in high school English and failed, or someone who failed for not writing a title on their exam, the anxiety began to creep in (well more like rush in!)

With all the talk about the ELPE I have heard today, I thought I would put together an "all you need to know" list about writing and surviving the ELPE!
  • For Arts students, a 65% must be achieved to pass.
  • On your transcript it will be recorded as a "pass or fail" with no grade present.
  • One may receive a conditional pass (CP) which means that the student neither passed nor failed the exam. It is mandatory for them to attend a review session, to receive a pass.
  • Every faculty writes the exam at a different time. Unlike Math or Engineering students, Arts students do not write the exam during orientation week. Based on your Grade 12 U English grade, you may be required to write the exam in December or April.
  • Every student who writes the ELPE has the opportunity to request a review session after taking the exam, where a tutor from the writing centre will sit down with you to asses your writing skills and provide areas for improvement.
  • There are many resources(such as sample essays, and workshops) that you can use to ensure you do the best you can on the exam. VISIT THE ELPE WEBSITE, it has so much there to help you get prepared.
  • If you don't pass, do not panic because you have options! You are able to participate in a writing clinic and then retake the exam.
  • If you are unsuccessful at writing the exam your second time, you have the option of taking a course during an academic term (ARTS 101) that will fulfill your ELPE requirement if successfully completed. 
Last year, on a day much like today, my friends and I walked to the Physical Activities Complex building. I was shaking as we entered the large gym and took our seats to begin the exam. After the hour came to a close, we exited the gym, talking about which essay topic we chose. Yet, even after we finished I was still worried "what if I forgot an instruction, what if I didn't write my topic number on the booklet". I was convinced I had failed until I received an email informing me that I passed! 

So, the best tip I can offer you is, stay calm, read through all of the instructions and do the best you can! It's like any other exam you will write. The most important thing is to be focused and relaxed!

Best of luck to those who wrote the ELPE today and to those of you who will be writing it some point in the coming year!
Trust me, you can do it!

1 comment:

  1. when did you get your email in april last year? I can't seem to find on my transcript on quest anything that has the section "milestones"

    ReplyDelete