Wednesday, January 12, 2011

This is my story. What does yours look like?


For many prospective students, today is the day you sent your applications in to the universities of your choice. While you continue to work hard and await those fateful replies, you may have mixed feelings whether it's apprehension, excitement, or both. I personally remember this being an anxiety filled time and so I thought I'd share with you my experience. We each have a story to tell and this is mine ...

Part 1

I remember being so conflicted when I began the search for a program, let alone a university! In high school I really enjoyed my business, economics, and accounting courses and so had begun to see myself in a business related career. And yet, knowing this, I found it hard to picture myself letting go of the social sciences and humanities that I had grown so accustom to and loved so much. But I thought that this is what choosing a program was about, choosing one area of interest over another. 
I began my Grade 12 year thinking: what a difficult decision! How do I even begin looking at admission booklets. Do I research Arts programs or Business programs? So I attended the Ontario University Fair in Toronto, still undecided and as confused as ever, until I visited the uWaterloo booth. I am not going to be cheesy and describe the moment I was introduce to the Arts and Business program as some heavenly epiphany ... actually it was kind of like that and I had to refrain myself from hugging the university representative I was talking to .... but I can mainly describe it as a moment of excitement and relief. Excitement for the future, and relief that I was able to find a program that appeared to suit me so well.
To say the least, it had summed up everything I was looking for: I would be able to take a variety of business courses from economics, to accounting, to human resources management while exploring courses in an Arts major that I could declare at the end of my first year. I would also have the opportunity to apply my learning and gain work experience in co-op, as well as having an option to specialize in an area such as Digital Arts Communication, or International Trade, just to name a few. I couldn't believe how many choices I had available to me through this program and in return the opportunity to acquire a very well-rounded education.
From that epiphany onward I am grateful that my quest was quite easy having found a program and a University all at once. As you may have done today, I pressed that apply button and kept my fingers crossed. I continued to discover that uWaterloo was not only a place I could enjoy learning at, but after several campus tours and visits, a place I could love living at! It was such a surreal moment to receive a package from uWaterloo that said, in big bold letters, “YOU'RE IN”, and yes, there was a great deal of jumping up and down. However, the work was not over yet!

Part 2

The panic began to set in. What will my Arts major be? There were so many options and areas that I found to be interesting. I couldn’t even imagine beginning to choose. Even though I knew you don't declare a major until after your first year at uWaterloo, I didn’t fully comprehend this and I thought I needed a set direction before going to university. So, I chose Speech Communications as my subject of major interest because, to be honest, I felt that it seemed to hold the most promise for a fruitful career in the future. But after a few weeks of classes, I realized Speech Communication wasn't the right fit for me. Now I was worried about what would happen next if I wanted to change my prospective major. Would I be able to? I've since realized that I had come into university with the wrong mentality.

My first mistake was being panicked about not having it all figured out. I am so grateful that I chose a university that emphasizes that it's okay to arrive at university with a handful of interests and to take your first year to explore them. My next mistake was choosing an area of interest not based on a subject I was truly passionate about. If I can give you only 1 piece of advice it would be that you can never truly succeed if you are not passionate and love what you do (and in our case, study).
And so, that's how I ended up here, half way through my second year in Arts and Business, majoring in Sociology (which I absolutely love!), and starting my first work term. Maybe my journey has been a lot like yours, or maybe they are very different, but at the end of the day it's important to remember: it's okay to be nervous. I definintely was. It's okay to not know 100% what you want your future to be like and its okay to change your mind.

Don't limit youself but instead look for new opportunities. Be open to new things and most of all... enjoy your journey. It's your story to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment